Sick of doing long slow steady pace cardio? Get in the best shape of your life by incorporating HIIT into your workout regime. HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training- does that scare you a little? Good! It should! This type of workout is not something you can do while reading a magazine or catching up with a friend, you are working the whole time. You may be out of breath, you may be in pain, but you won’t be bored and your body will thank you! It’s a type of aerobic exercise that burns calories FAST and increases a person’s strength, endurance and overall fitness. It involves 30 second to 3 minute intervals of high-intensity cardiovascular exercises and then an alternate period with a low to moderate cardiovascular exercise. These intervals should last the same time, or the low to moderate interval should last a little longer than the high interval.
Top 5 benefits of HIIT from Bailey’s supplement partner, Pro Supps:
1) BURN MORE FAT- You not only burn more calories with HIIT, but during your HIIT routine you also kick your body’s repair cycle into hyper-drive, meaning that you continue to burn more calories and fat in the 24 hours after your workout.
2) KEEP THE MUSCLE, LOSE THE WEIGHT- Many dieters out there understand how easy it can be to lose your muscle along with your fat, and no one wants that, especially after all the hard work that was done to put on muscle. Studies prove that both weight training and HIIT workouts allow dieters to hold onto their muscle while ensuring the most fat loss!
3) IT’S EFFICIENT-HIIT is the ideal workout for a busy schedule. It’s short and does the job! Research shows you can achieve more progress in a mere 15 minutes of interval training (done 3x’s a week) than someone jogging for an hour. HIIT is not limited to a few exercises, you can almost perform any exercise or activity in a HIIT manner; some great HIIT exercises are: high knees, fast feet, jumping lunges, squat jumps, jump roping, biking running, etc.
4) INCREASE METABOLISM- HIIT stimulates your human growth hormone (HGH) up to 450%, which accounts for increased caloric burn and slowing down the aging process while improving insulin sensivitity.
5) ENERGY USE – Since HIIT uses a system of work-to-recovery intervals, your body learns how to effectively create and use the energy that comes for your body’s anaerobic system. HIIT also helps facilitate the removal of metabolic waste from your muscles during the resting periods of exercise. This helps your body maximize the amount of air you breathe in during a workout.